Wednesday, July 18, 2012

SCP Guest author A.J. Best

All of my life I’ve had favorite words.

FREE: How could anyone not like the word free. Especially when it’s added to the word sample, clothing, etc.
BOOK: Another word that I could never live without. A book can take me to a new world, a new time, and when I am stressed, a new mini-reality.
WRITING: I love this word because honestly, this year has been rough. So I love when I get to write a character out of a story. I love to write the make up sex and the funerals. When you have a friend who is an author, be loving. Because you never know when you might get killed off, and never know it.
HUG: A blanket to wrap around your soul.
RELEASE DATE: I know that it’s two words, but dayum. How can you not love them? They are two that are always meant to be together.

So, when SCP gave me my own release date of 7/7/12, I wanted to be the cow that jumped over the moon. I was so happy. But...I messed that up too. I have a desire to make sure that when others want something done, it gets done right away. So my release date moved to 6/30/12. That gave me an early birthday present.
So, since you are tired of listening to my favorite words, I’m going to give you what I hope is some of your new favorite words:
***
                                                     
It seemed more and more lately that no matter how hard she tried, he looked right through her. It was infuriating and heart breaking. She'd had enough heartbreak during the past year to last her a lifetime. Her mother had been sick battling cancer all last year. Unfortunately she’d lost the battle. She’d made sure to pass on information to Mary while on her deathbed though.
                                     
Something Mary had never seen coming. She was adopted. Her world felt as if she had lost all control.
                                     
The adoption information that her mother had left with her will quickly found its way into the trash. Why would she want to find someone who didn't want her? She had enough instances of that in her own home. She did wonder, after a year, if she had reacted too rashly. You never know when you'll need family, and if she met her biological mother maybe she could figure out who she was, inside and out.
                                     
Mary plopped herself on the bed and let out a huge rush of air. There was no way Joe hadn’t noticed her outfit. She had bought it specifically for their ten-year anniversary night.
                                     
She remembered how she had anxiously awaited this evening and decided that she would make it perfect no matter how she was feeling. Every year on this day, they left the house at four twenty five and drove to the lake where he had romantically declared his undying love and proposed to her. He always hired a horse drawn carriage. The prancing steed would take them from the lake to a lovely candlelit dinner for two. After having one too many glasses of wine and a wonderful meal, they would enjoy a leisurely stroll to the theater. Wicked was currently playing on Broadway, and she couldn’t wait to hear the music that made her soul dance and her heart soar. Re-reading the book several times had her excited, and she knew the night would be perfect.
                                     
Then reality reared its ugly head.
                                     
Carefully she unlaced her corset and tossed the silky white thong in the corner; it still held the dampness from her unquenched desire.
                                     
"I can't believe I wasted my time and effort on this. Sometimes my husband is such a jerk," when she took a look around it dawned on her that she was talking to herself. Another deep breath and swish of hair and she mused, "I guess it's okay to talk to myself as long as I don't answer back, huh CC?"
                                     
She slipped her silk robe on quickly and snatched the cat from his slumberous repose. He squirmed to free himself but Mary kissed his little nose first. "Don't be like your daddy, at least notice I'm here." She placed the cat gently on the bed and started her morning ritual. Getting ready for work was the last thing she was interested in.
**
So what do you think of Mary and CC? There is one thing you can be sure of, if there is a book by AJ Best, there will be a cat in it.

Here’s an idea for you, in the comments below, leave 3 of your favorite words and why. And since I love you so much, I will give one lucky commenter a copy of Forgiveness by Moi and I’ll see if I can come up with a GREAT song from your favorite words. So the winner gets one copy of Forgiveness and a Song. If the winner would like to have an autograph, I suggest that they go to www.kindlegraph.com and request one.

Buy Link
             

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me around today - I absolutely can't wait to find out what some favorite words are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the excerpt!

    Free- when it comes to books or anything but especially books
    Passion- I love the word and what it means. It is powerful.
    Cowboy- Brings to mind, sexy bare chested, hot men
    Contract- I love when I submit a story and then get a contract. I don't know if the thrill will ever go away.
    Writing- I love to write and love SCP for giving me the opportunity to become a published writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie - you sound a lot like me....mmmm cowboys. Sorry - that one popped out first and made me want to just buy a coffee table book of sexy cowboys. Wonder if playgirl has ever ran a cowboy only issue. (Google here I come)

      Thanks for stopping by - I'd love for more folks to stop on in - tell all your friends.

      Delete
  3. Rain- I love how rain cleanses the air and the rumble of thunder that often precedes and concludes a rainfall.
    Shimmering- I love the dewy shimmering webs in the early morning woods; I know the faeries have been dancing all night.
    Nutmeg- The whimsical quality of the word makes me smile, as does the scent of the spice.

    Thanks for the great excerpt!
    Flossie Benton Rogers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never would have thought what a cool word shimmering is. Do you watch The Big Bang Theory? They like the word Schnapps:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnomoSGHy28&feature=colike

      Now, if I could find some shimmering schnapps, I'd be set!

      Delete
  4. My three words Happy- proud, success
    I am so so happy and proud that your novel is such a great success!!!! You go girl- I see your book on the scp site #1- dreams do come true- I already have your book but I don't have a song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you the sweetest of sweets. If you win - I'll give you a song - and then....I'll let you pick (or Random.org) another person to win the book. What ya think?

      Delete
  5. I love the excerpt. My three words are: love, friendship and laughter. The book sounds amazing. I think I'll get it even if I don't win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know that Love, Friendship and Loyalty are the meanings behind the claddagh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claddagh_ring#Symbolism). I actually have a tattoo with a Claddagh with my grandson's initial in it.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great read. My 3 words are
    Love. Light and bliss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so much reminding me of my friend Robin with that. We started being friends when the commercial with the old lady texting used to say, "Idk my bff Rose" and we have been calling her Rose ever since. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySR3hpieiQc)

      So I know I"m gonna love you Kim!

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed reading the excerpt above! I love a good story!

    My three favorite words? That's like asking me what my three favorite books are- very difficult! As a fellow author, you can agree that words are our craft, our life, our passion. For you, and an attempt to win freebies, I will try!

    ~Honesty: Honesty is so important. Honesty cuts through the bullmess. Honesty doesn't make much for a good, intriguing story, but it's important in life.
    ~Family: Life begins and ends with our loved ones. They make us happy. They make us miserable. Our interactions with them are the foundation for the relationships we'll develop throughout life.
    ~Sanctuary: Just saying the word makes me feel safe and think of home. I can imagine a nice, comfy couch and a good book. Maybe a glass of red wine to savor with my reading.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my darling Jessica! I don't even know you, but I love you! Thank you for your words. They've touched my heart and soul tonight.

      Delete
  9. Since it's getting near my bedtime and nearly past my time on World of Worldcraft, it's time to pick a winner!

    Random.org said that out of 6 potential winners #2 was the one!

    So thank you to libraryfaeryJuly 18, 2012 3:17 PM and your answer, I'll be bugging you soon!

    AJ

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Popular SCP Posts This Month