Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Introducing upcoming SCP author Flossie Benton Rogers


Favorite Things
It is a dream come true. Secret Cravings Publishing accepted my paranormal romance novel Wytchfaefor publication, and scheduled it to debut in October. Everyone I have met at SCP has been wonderful. After many years of being public library director, partnering people with books, I could not be more thrilled to have a book of my own, the first in a series. The heroine is a witch with a drop of faery blood who falls in love with a sexy Viking ghost. Please paint the town with me when release day comes.

After reading the previous paragraph, you already know some of my favorite things: paranormal romance, Viking heroes, Secret Cravings, writing, and, of course, getting published.

By way of introduction and getting to know each other, I thought I would share a few more items from my list of life’s joys.

Reading is certainly a passion of mine. I think it is with most writers. I have been an enthusiastic reader all my life. In elementary school at the beginning of each semester, I always devoured our freshly issued reading book the first night. I had to find out what happened to those people next. I enjoy various genres, including historical romance, mystery, dystopian, and urban fantasy. Romance appeals because of the main characters’ developing relationship and the positive outcome at the end. I just love it when those two finally get together!

October is a glorious time. Seriously, it’s not just because the book is coming out then. As the first full month of autumn, October brings zingy air that makes me feel renewed and raring to go. To find red, yellow, and orange leaves in Florida, you must trek to the edge of a swamp, but it’s so worth it. Also, Halloween is a fun holiday.

I can’t talk about October without mentioning la luna. I’m drawn to the full moon, dark of the moon, and all in between. Whenever the goddess Selene beams down, I’m there.

Incense is a daily staple at our house. The exotic ones from the East are incomparable, but I also enjoy wisteria, jasmine, and lily of the valley. When your nose is happy, the writing revs up a notch.

Coffee. That one word is all that’s needed. Dare I say butterscotch toffee coffee?

I adore nutmeg, its aroma and taste. The flavor enhances almost any food, even savory dishes. Nutmeg’s appearance is endearing too, all round and beautiful in a homely way, something like my basset hound Daisy Josette.

Snickerdoodles are the best. I don’t mean cookies. Rather, I refer to rambunctious boys ages five and three. On an odd day I am feeling blue, the Snickerdoodles come over and bring out the sun. Although Wytchfaedoesn’t have any small children, I have in the works a vintage romance that features little ones.

Sparkles make the world go ‘round. Glitter, shimmer, bling—I have them on my sandals, clothes, phone, in my bedroom, and of course jewelry. I love cheap baubles and semi-precious stones such as lapis lazuli and jade. I love crystals but not so much diamonds. Creativity demands sparkles. The heroine in Wytchfaewears a special necklace.

My grandmother read fairy tales to me very early, and I have always been drawn to them. In the old tale East of the Sun and West of the Moon, the heroine goes on a long journey and overcomes dangerous challenges to be with her beloved. Enamored of a ghost, the Wytchfae meets challenges of her own. It is incredibly satisfying to be able to write about faeries and other mythical beings. Some are good hearted, some pretty dark.

Writers are my rock stars. Fellow writers command my respect and admiration, from the ones in my writing groups to those in Secret Cravings Publishing and elsewhere. Each day I continue to learn so much. Talented authors live at Secret Cravings Publishing. To be part of SCP is one of my mostfavorite things. Thank you, SCP readers, for making it possible!

http://flossiebentonrogers.wordpress.com
http://facebook.com/FlossieBentonRogers
http://twitter.com/FrostFyre
http://pinterest.com/Wytchfae





8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful introduction. Thanks for sharing, and am looking forward to your new book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great introduction. Lots of good October wishes! I am also a huge fan of fall even though I live in Fla, too.

    Say butterscotch toffee coffee three times fast. You can't help but giggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the giggle and for stopping by, Jillian!

      Delete
  4. I remember that story, East of the Sun, West of the Moon:) Welcome to the SCP family Flossie:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Molly! Everyone has been very supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound like my kind of woman, Flossie! My mom calls me a Crow because I love shiny, sparkly objects and jewelry. Also, I love good-smelling candles and incense. The hubby complains about the smoky smell, but I burn lavender blossoms in a dish in the early morning to help me unwind from the morning hustle of getting ready and getting the little one to school on time. I'm so glad we'll be working together! Good luck with your book and I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessicca, I'm pleased to have a cohort in the incense and sparkles indulgence! My hubby appreciates the incense but can do without the glitz. I love how you use the lavender. We also enjoy aromatic candles. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Popular SCP Posts This Month