Wednesday, August 1, 2012

SCP author and guest blogger Jillian Chantal

I'm Jillian Chantal and I'm blogging today about my recent release called The Season of the Witch. This story fermented in my brain for a couple of years before I actually got more than the first few sentences in my head so I could write it. I'm very much a non-plotter when I begin writing and I usually start and the story flows from the first few words.

That didn't happen with this story. I love music and this story was initially inspired by the song Devil Woman. I got a vision of a crystal ball on a table with a cat peering into it and then the cat leapt off the table and shifted into a woman. I even had her name, Gato, which is Spanish for cat and I also had the hero's name.

I made a few notes about the hero and heroine and then nothing. Zero, zip, nada. I was stuck with about nine lines and two people who were shifters. Since the story was going nowhere fast, I set it aside. I'd peek at that beginning of a scene every once in a while until about two years went by.

Then, one morning, out of the blue came the next part and I wrote furiously for a few days and had a complete story. It took me a while, but I think it's a cute little read and I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I hope the readers feel the same way.

Gato is a seer but her crystal ball is on the fritz. It's too cloudy for her to see anything clearly. She teams up with Cord to solve the mystery of who's killing cat shifters. It's a fast-paced, quick read.

Here's a link to the trailer


I love to talk to readers so feel free to email me at Jillianchantal@gmail.com or visit me on my website http://www.Jillianchantal.com

7 comments:

  1. Jillian,
    Great post! Your usual writing method-- starting with the first few sentences of a book-- is fascinating. I'm glad the rest of this story came to you. It definitely sounds like one I want to read.
    Keep those stories coming!
    Flossie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Flossie. I'm the definition of a pantser. I love the journey of the first draft. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it when the story just flows but sometimes those you have to wait on are real treats. Sounds like this one is going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dandwh- I hope the readers think so. I know I had fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story is right up my alley! I am so glad you wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great post, Jillian,
    I'm a panster. I rarely have my entire story plotted out. I just go wit the flow and I'm always surprised when things take an unexpected twist or a new character leaps in from out of nowhere, but that's the joy of being a panster. Best of luck with your new book. It sounds like a wonderful read....Tabs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the com;liment, Liberty! I appreciate you taking the time to commnet. If you read it, I hope you like it.

    Thanks re: saying the post is great, Tabs. I'm like you, I never plot the whole thing out. My thrill is following the characters to their destination. Sounds like you and I write alike. Thanks for the good wishes, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Most Popular SCP Posts This Month